Frequently Asked Questions

Why is my bill so high?

This can depend on a few things: First, do you subscribe to any of our custom Calling features? Second, what long distance plan do you have with Cal-Ore? Third, do you have our High Speed Internet Service? Finally, if you have added a new service or multiple new services you could be seeing billing partials and/or activation fees if applicable.

Can you explain the charges on my bill?

If you contact us we will try and explain any charges that appear on your bill.

Can I pay my bill with a credit card?

Yes. You can pay your bill with your credit card by stopping in the local office, or call and your payment can be processed over the phone. You can also sign up for Direct Payment and indicate that you would like us to automatically debit your credit card monthly for the amount due on your bill. Just complete a Direct payment authorization form and mail it in or drop it by today!

How can I have my telephone bill paid automatically each month?

Automatic payment of your phone bill can be handled by direct ACH withdrawal from your bank account or automatic debit of your credit card each month. You will need to complete the direct payment authorization form. If you would like to sign up for direct ACH withdrawl from your bank account return the form to our office completed with a voided check from your account. The balance due on your phone bill will be automatically withdrawn from your bank account on the 10th of each month. The authorization is to remain in full force and effect until Cal-Ore has received written notice of its termination in such time and such manner as to afford Cal-Ore and depository a reasonable opportunity to act on it.

What is my account balance?

If you contact us , one of our Customer Service Reps can tell you your current balance..
Why am I charged an “Interstate access charge” when I never call out of state?
The interstate access charge is a requirement of the Federal Communication Commission. It is intended to help level the cost of phone bills throughout the US. It is a required charge on all local telephone companies.

What are “Federal Universal Service” and “State Universal Service”?

The Universal Service Fund, both State and Federal, is a pooling agreement for most telephone companies, regulated by the FCC and the State Public Utility Commission to help defray the costs of telephone service in high cost areas.

How do I set up a new telephone service?

If you have not had service with us in the past or it has been a while since you’ve had service you will need to fill out an application for new service which you can get at our office.

Why doesn’t my phone work?

The best idea is to contact us and let us know what sort of problems you are having and a trouble ticket can be issued.

How long does it take to get my phone connected?

Once you turn your application in, and pay a deposit if applicable, we estimate 5 to 7 business days to get the service started. If you need inside wiring done that will need to be scheduled and may take more time.

Who is my Long Distance Carrier?

Your Long Distance Carrier will be identified on the first page of your Cal-Ore Telephone bill, on your remittance stub. If you have Cal-Ore Long Distance the billing Charges will also on your bill. If you have any other carrier besides Cal-Ore you will receive a separate bill from that carrier for any long distance charges.

How did my Long Distance Carrier get changed?

When a long distance carrier initiates a Pic change request to change your Long Distance carrier the change will be made unless you have requested a Pic-Freeze on your account. If you did not request this change it is called “Slamming”. We recommend you set your desired long distance carrier, and then call us or stop by our office to request a Pic-Freeze on your account. There is no charge for a Pic-Freeze.

Why are calls between Dorris/Macdoel and Tulelake/Newell a long distance call?

Extended Area Service, or EAS, is a designated area in which one subscriber can call another subscriber without long distance charges. These areas are designated by the California Public Utility Commission. In order to change these areas, a request must be made to the CPUC. A study is then conducted to determine a majority interest and the feasibility of extending the area. When EAS areas are extended, local rates may increase to offset the cost of extending the area.

What are your Long Distance rates?

Our rates vary depending on the plan you have, please click here to learn more

Why can’t I call Long Distance?

First, do you have a Long Distance Carrier for both in-state and out of state calls? Or do you have a toll block on your phone? Also, if you delinquent on your bill your toll calling may be blocked.

What custom calling features am I currently subscribed to?

Get your last bill from Cal-Ore it should list any custom calling features you have. Otherwise, you may contact us and one of our CSR’s will be glad to tell you what features you currently have

How much are the custom calling features?

Most of our features are available here. You may also call Customer Service if you have more questions.

How can I access my voicemail?

You may access the voice mail system from any phone and may be asked for your mailbox number (7 digit phone number) and/or password.  From the phone with voicemail, dial *98.  If you’re remote, please use one of our local dial-in numbers.  These can be found on our calling features page.

Customer Support


8am – 5pm, Monday – Friday

Technical Support


24 hours a day, 7 days a week